Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Recently Released ... hit or miss



Coldplay Viva La Vida - Hit

Liz ordered it on iTunes and I've got to say, its not bad. I mean, if you were expecting something innovative or different, you were probably disappointed, but its a Coldplay record thats got to be palatable to the bazillions of people who are going to hear it in stadiums around the world. Sadly, I will not be one of those bazillions, but its nice album that Liz and I (and possibly you and your girlfriend/parents/grandparents) can compromise on. Worth picking up if only so you can put it on at your next family get together so you don't have to hear Shania Twain, Celine Dion, or your dad's latest Celtic fiddle music album.... but maybe that's just me.

My Morning Jacket Evil Urges - Miss

To me, it kind of sounds like Jim James - who I really like - was replaced by Prince - who I don't particularly care for (unless he's involved in a Dave Chapelle skit). MMJ's Z [2005] might be one of the albums that I go to most frequently when I don't know what to listen to, so this was a relatively big disappointment...
[mp3] My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges

The Ting Tings We Started Nothing - Miss

Yeah, the iPod commercial makes just about everything look trendy, but I can't say that I'm a huge fan without the dancing silhouettes...
[mp3] The Ting Tings - Shut Up and Let Me Go

Wolf Parade At Mount Zoomer - ?

I've written before about how much I really like Dan B.'s other band Handsome Furs, but I've always been luke warm about WP and its other half Spencer Krug (Frog Eyes, Sunset Rubdown, etc.). I'm not sure At Mount Zoomer really changes my opinion about either ... ie. I like the Boeckner songs, I dislike the Krug songs, and so the album has got to come down somewhere in the middle...
[mp3] Wolf Parade - Call it A Ritual

No comments: