Monday, July 6, 2009

Some thoughts on the NBA Post post-Season



Shaq to the Cavs. In terms of entertainment value - great trade - in terms of their capacity to win the title, I think the Cavs would've been way better suited to try and go get a wing (or two - so LBJ can play the 4) that can defend the Kobes, Pierces, etc. b/c its way too much to ask Delonte West to give up that many inches. That said, if the Cavs may still be able to pick up a Carlos Delfino, Matt Barnes type, if they do, I think they become really tough...

Minnesota picks two PGs. Remember how the Cavs tried to play with two small guards? And I don't need to tell you that Minnesota does not have LeBron James...

Turkoglu to the Raptors. Hedo may be on the decline, although I'm not sure his decline is going to be quite as steep as some simply because he doesn't really rely on 'explosiveness' the way many NBA wings do, but he's definitely "an asset" i.e. a player with some value. Also, as my facebook suggested yesterday morning, I think its an indication that Toronto has started to figure out its competitive advantage in the NBA market place: that Europeans are going to be happy in a Cosmopolitan city. I'm thinking that a Bosh trade to the Blazers for Batum, Fernandez, and Rodriguez is in order, followed by the Raptors changing their name to the Euro-League All-Stars....

Vinsanity to the Magic. Yes, VC is a step-up from Courtney Lee (if he tries), but I'm not sure he's worth losing Turkoglu, Gortat, and Lee -- 3 very solid rotation players. I'm also not sure why nobody is talking about the lack of depth on this team. They've got a great starting 5: Nelson, Carter, (presumably) Peitras, Lewis, Howard; but they have nobody coming off the bench... without that bench is that team really much better than the Raptors? Okay, maybe they are, but not that much better...

The Spurs. A lot of people are talking about the Lakers, Cavs, Magic as the teams to beat, but I'm not sure any of those teams can match the the depth and team play of the Spurs (if healthy). It's hard to say what their starting line-up is going to look like, but they've added some scoring w/ R. Jefferson and the possibility of adding R. Wallace (note: he's now signed on with the C's), and given T. Duncan some help rebounding by adding Dejuan Blair. They've got a bunch of guys to throw at Kobe and Gasol... I dunno, I think they're my early favourite...

Another note: Just while I'm thinking about this, its occurred to me - and its entirely possible that I'm just regurgitating something I've heard/read on ESPN this week - that with the economy as bad as it is, and no one wanting to spend money, the good teams are going to get really good this off-season. Why? Well, if no one is offering to pay big bucks or overpaying, then why would anyone half decent go to a bad team? They wouldn't... that was a rhetorical question...

No comments: