Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Best Songs of 2009: Glasvegas "Geraldine"



Before I get to the songs that're going to end up on ye olde year end album list I'm inclined to give a little attention to the ones that aren't going to be there. And Glasvegas and their self-titled album will not be there. Glasvegas, in my opinion, doesn't really do much that hasn't been done, nor do they execute the Brit-Arena-Rock formula well enough over a period of 10 songs to sustain my attention (which, admittedly, is very limited in the first place).

Even though the album as a whole isn't something I'm going to put on and listen to from start to finish, "Geraldine" is probably one of the best, most uplifting songs of the year regardless of genre. Between the driving electric guitar that runs through the song which is, at worst, extremely catchy, and at best, something somewhere near a force of nature. There's that, and there's something about the chorus "Al beh tha anghel on ya shouldah/ma nam is Geraldine I'm yo soshal wo-kah", which, in English translates to: "I'll be the angel on your shoulder/ My name is Geraldine I'm your social worker".

Maybe it's me, and the production value on Glasvegas is just too much for someone with my tastes, and we may disagree on the quality of the album, but I suspect we'll agree that this is one of the songs Best of 2009.

[mp3] Glasvegas - Geraldine

2 comments:

Unknown said...

wasn't that one from 2008?

The R.O.B. said...

Possibly... but I don't really care all that much... it ended up on my computer in 2009, so, as far as I'm concerned it's 2009.