Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Best Songs of 2009: Ketch Harbour Wolves "Letters"



I'd like to dedicate this post to the commenter the other day who pointed out that Glasvegas' "Geraldine" was put out in '08. It was... probably, but it ended up on my computer in 2009, so, whatever. And with that, I'll point out one of my other favourite songs of 2009 released in 2008, "Letters" by the Ketch Harbour Wolves. Seems like an appropriate tie-in with the contest for KHW tickets for this coming Friday, December 11th in Toronto.

I've fluctuated on KHW's album Dead Calm Horizon. Not on whether I like it or not (it was 1c on my Best of 2008 list), but on which song was/is my favourite. Over the course of the last year I've changed my mind a few times, but I've gradually come to a point where, when listening to DCH I'll skip to "Letters" at the end of the album, then play the album from front to back so I can hear it (the song) twice.

I think it might be because Dead Calm Horizon is generally pretty dark, but "Letters" sort of feels like the light at the end of the tunnel. The gentle banjo picking (I think), and the more down-tempo nature of the song, the band has created the feeling that it (whatever it is) is over. In the case of the band, it, apparently, is the loss of loved one (to another location, not, it seems, to death). But the underlying message that I take away from the song is one of acceptance -- it reminds you that sometimes you ought to relax and let go of things you can't change... good advice (if that's what they're saying)... and either way, it's a great song.

[mp3] Ketch Harbour Wolves - Letters

No comments: