Monday, December 3, 2007

I'm Not There/I Don't Want to Be Here

F-ck. This weather sucks.

I finally was able to get a hold of the Soundtrack for Todd Haynes' new Bob Dylan pseudo-bio pic I'm Not There. I was pretty excited about it as the two disk set as it is a veritable who's who of music including Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam), Sonic Youth, Cat Power, Jeff Tweedy (Wilco), Iron & Wine, Willie Nelson... and that's just the first disc. I've actually only made it through the entire two discs once so far, but the album so far is pretty impressive. Impressive in the adaptations of some of Dylan's songs, hearing 'I'm Going to Acapulco' and 'Knocking On Heaven's Door' have made me want to re-visit the work of My Morning Jacket and Antony and the Johnsons respectively. Impressive also how much Dylans lyrics resonate with me especially since I never really 'got' what all the fuss was about with Dylan. Now I do. Or at least I'm starting to. But it also kind of highlights the fact that, for me, Dylan was at his best when someone else was performing his work (see: Hendrix, Jimmy "All Along the Watchtower").

One question though... how did Avril Lavigne's version of "Knocking on Heaven's Door" not make this album? Yes, that was in fact sarcasm.

The movie trailer.


If anyone has seen the movie... I'd be interested in any thoughts.

1 comment:

Jesse said...

On a similar note, I hate the Beatles WAY less now that I've seen (and heard) Across the Universe.

Sure I deleted a lot of the tracks (like all the psychedelic crap), but it's a great disc. In particular, I refer all and sundry to "I Wanna Hold Your Hand". Tragically, the singer really only does the one song, but she is spectacular.