Friday, May 9, 2008

Tales of Interest, Friday Edition: Take Out the Salami and Cheese


Been really busy, so, not much music to chat about, but some interesting b-ball stuff:
  • Malcolm Gladwell's moneyball-esque thesis that physical attributes aren't great predictors of future success. It's often been my thought that the biggest thing that high school players that go straight to the NBA miss out on is experience 'grinding it out' and learning how to win. I mean, its easy to win when you're significantly bigger/stronger/faster than everyone else by a lot, but at some point you've got to figure out how to "out compete" the other side. Off the top of my head Kobe is the only highschooler to win multiple titles... for anyone who saw the Celtics-Hawks series it seems unlikely the KG is going to buck that trend.
  • Liz and I saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall on Monday night starring a couple of my favourite TV actors Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars) and Jason Segel (Marshall - How I Met Your Mother). I was expecting a mildly entertaining romantic comedy and instead got an extraordinarily funny comedy comedy where the romance part is introduced through a particularly hilarious break up scene early in the movie... and, I guess if this is supposed to be first and foremost a music blog, here's some music from the movie.



    Its a song that was written by Segel, who I guess is writing the next Muppets movie....
PS...

3 comments:

Jesse said...

You could not be more right... Forgetting Sarah Marshall was sick like the flu. A lot of truly unnecessary nudity really bought it together, and brought my man-crush on Marshall to new levels.

But, I thought both V-Mars and Jackie looked way, waaaaaaaaaaay too skinny. Your expert opinion?

Anonymous said...

Rosie - did you say "too skinny" I didn't think I'd ever hear you say that...

I don't think V-Mars looked any skinnier than normal though....

Unknown said...

why so much hate for KG? While he didn't dominate, I think it's more Doc Rivers not being able to make adjustments or "coach".

Or maybe it's just I like the C's :)