Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Tasseomancy by Ghost Bees



Apparently, Tasseomancy is the art of reading tea leaves as well as the name of the first?latest? work by the Halifaxian duo Ghost Bees. The name of the album really captures the kind of bizzare and extraordinarily haunting nature of their music*. After hearing the first single, I was slightly creeped out, but after I got the album in the mail I was pleasantly surprised how much I really enjoyed being creeped out by them.

The closest point of comparison I think is probably one of my favourite bands of the last couple of years, Beirut. I mean, not that they sound like Beirut, but in a I never would have thought that I'd enjoy listening to an album with this kind of sound once all the way through, let alone repeatedly (Beirut's Gulag Orkestar is probably one of my most played albums over the last two years). Tasseomancy might be a little too shrill at times for that to happen, but I'm not going to be surprised if it turns into a regular rotation album or even a recommendation.

[mp3] Ghost Bees - Vampires of the West Coast

* I feel like this is strange phenomenon that more albums aren't titled properly - i.e. given a name that accurately reflects the feel of the album. Maybe this isn't possible all the time, for example, Death Cab for Cutie Goes Punk may not have been the best album title for Tokyo Police Club's latest, but you know what I mean...


As an aside - this is who I think the Raps should draft.

No comments: