Friday, July 18, 2008

Tales of Interest, Friday Night Edition

I gave the new Microsoft Zune (thoughts on the machine pending - although I can say the headphones they sent are terrific) a test drive walk tonight, and I've got some thoughts on a couple of albums that I haven't talked much about...



Cut Copy In Ghost Colours: Let me preface what I'm about to say with the proviso that I think its an excellent album, and if I get a chance to see them live I'll do it in a heart beat -- but, I'm pretty sure most of the music on this album might be stolen from video games from the Original Nintendo. That said, the more I give this album a chance the more I think it might be a top-10er at the end of the year. If nothing else 'Hearts on Fire' is easily a top-5 single...

[mp3] Cut Copy - Hearts on Fire



Lil' Wayne Tha Carter III: Normally I have a policy of not listening to any music by an artist whose name includes the abbreviated version of the word little -this began with Bow Wow - but after an outstanding Pitchfork review and the badgering from a co-worker, I relented. I can't say that I love the misogyny, drug talk, and all the references to the V.I.P., but its filling the rap related void in my life right now...

[mp3] Lil' Wayne - Mr. Carter ft. Jay-z removed to ensure Lil' Wayne doesn't pop a cap in my ass....



Girl Talk Feed the Animals: Greg Gillis - Girl Talk - seems like a good DJ, but I can't say that I really see myself sitting down to listen to him ... ever, really. I've seen guys like Mark Ronson (my favourite), RJD2 and local, or close to local guys, like the Peter Project and find this stuff is always best digested live, and probably after a few drinks. So, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about really....

[mp3] Girl Talk - She Wants It

No comments: