Friday, October 17, 2008

Singer-Songwriters and Selebrity Sightings



First, and just so we get this out of the way, I saw Spenny on the subway on the way home from school on Thursday. Very exciting. I almost challenged him to see who could stay on the subway longer, but, well, I've got stuff to do ya' know?

Okay, now for the good stuff. Some good singer-songwriter stuff that has crossed my proverbial desk (I actually work on the couch - for the inquiring minds that want to know) in the last little while...

1. Jon McKiel

Earlier this year Jon released an album The Nature of Things, which I heard a few tracks from and was interested in hearing more. Then the summer happened, I was busy, I didn't get a copy of his CD, and yadda-yadda-yadda... anyways. A bunch of the singles were really catchy "War on You" and "123 My Friends" particularly - I've now got a copy of the CD coming - and I expect it to end up on my year end list...

[mp3] Jon McKiel - 123 My Friends


2. Brett 'Slim' Shady

I'd be completely lying if I said to you I don't think these demos from Brett Shady could pass for un-released Paul Simon tracks. That said, I like them; if he was ever playing in the area, I'd go; so, I guess that's all that really counts, right? I mean, the Graduate was on TV the other night I downloaded the sound track and listened to it once, whereas I've been through Shady's demo a half dozen times...

[mp3] Brett Shady - I'll Try


3. LittleBear

I'm finding it pretty hard to make a judgement on LittleBear (aka Nick Principe)'s Army of Trees EP since it clocks in under 15 minutes. But, the first track 'The Beaverkill' has a kind of Sufjan(during Michigan)esque quality to it, which, I think, boads well for his full length - tentatively titled - The Old Capital.

[mp3] Little Bear - The Beaverkill

Also, the Army of Trees EP is available for free via his myspace here.

No comments: