Monday, September 8, 2008

Ra Ra Roger/Ra Ra Remixes/Ra Ra Riot


  • So, it was nice to see R-Fed come away the last Grand Slam of the year tonight even if the match, which was on Rogers Channel 166 on my box, took me 45 mins to find and wasn't particularly exciting. That said, the tournament on the whole was probably one of the more entertaining tournaments (Williams-Williams- even if they do fix their matches; Federer-Andreev; Andy Roddick playing unbelievable in week one and then falling apart; Djokovic getting booed by the NYC Crowd; Murray joining the top teir of Men's tennis; etc.). Of course, the best part of all this is the way it sets up for next year: Can Fed tie Sampras and/or regain #1? Can Nadal win a hard court major, or even make a final? Can any of the next generation (Sam Querry, Gulbis, Cilic, Tsonga, Monfils, etc.) establish themselves as a contender on a consistent basis? Also, great to see NYC following the rest of the majors setting an attendance record for the Open... so, even if tennis isn't getting the mainstream media coverage it got in the 80s, its indicative that tennis is still a growing sport.
  • Ummmm, I was up early on Saturday morning and was watching Much Music - mostly I just get kind of curious what the kids are listening to - and, well, I came across Katy Perry's 'Kissed A Girl' which left me... speechless. I mean, anyone who remembers Tatu probably remembers them for their... unambigious lesbianosity. But, this is kind of, different than that, somehow. I think its probably the way she brings in the lesbianity so casually, which, while not being the epi-centre of the decay of society; it is kind of troubling that tweens are going to be running around singing the chorus to tween-aged boys. Troubling in that this is a serious and difficult subject for a lot of people, and I think it kind of trivializes the struggle that a lot of young girls/boys/?s have coming to terms with their own sexual identity. But I guess this is no more troubling than it was when kids of my generation were singing Nirvana's 'Rape Me'... and I guess we turned out alright... right? Mom? Dad? Grandma?
[mp3] Katy Perry - I Kissed A Girl (Hot Pink Delorean Remix) (but the song content aside, and the remix, is pretty catchy.)
  • Ra Ra Riot, who I wrote about a while ago, has a full length album out now called The Rhumb Line. Re-reading the old post I was pretty stoked for this album to come out, and it has met and exceeded what were very high expectations. I'm not sure I have anything particularly insightful to say about it (the album), or their sound more generally, but I'd urge you to check it out if you haven't already. My favourite song + a pretty awesome remix of a Tokyo Police Club's 'Juno'.
[mp3] Tokyo Police Club - Juno (Ra Ra Riot/Andrew Maury remix)
[mp3] Ra Ra Riot - Suspended in Gaffa

1 comment:

Hal Incandenza said...

Nice pic. I missed him practicing during Saturday qualies by a tantalizing 45 minutes.