Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Electronic Music for People Who Don't Like Electronic Music: Caribou "Andorra"


There has been a lot of hype surrounding Dan Snaith's aka. Caribou latest release Andorra (in the musicblog world, not the real world, in case you don't live in either). I skim through a lot of music blogs, and despite just about everyone raving about his album, I had kind of ignored them mostly because his earlier work under the moniker 'Manitoba' was pretty inaccessible. The wikipedia entry explains, hilariously, why he is now recording as Caribou.

At any rate, after hearing so many good things about this album I finally relented (I'm not sure, but I think I succumbed to peer pressure over the internet, sad, huh). After running through the album a half dozen times or so, I'm tending to agree that this more melody driven, beach boys influenced, electronic album, probably is among the years best albums.

In case you were wondering, yes, he does in fact have a PhD in Math. Was it that obvious from the photo?

My buddy Rosie passed along this Globe and Mail article by Robert Everett-Green on Snaith a little while ago.

Also, the BBC put together a neat mini-documentary (8 minutes) on Andorra available on here on youtube. You have no idea how hard it was to resist embedding this since I learned how to do it over the weekend.

No comments: