Friday, May 22, 2009

A Suggestion to the Decemberists re: the Hazards of Love


I've never really been into the Decemberists. I've heard bits and pieces of all of their albums, and have liked a bunch of songs ("California One/Youth and Beauty Brigade", "Red Right Ankle", "I Was Meant for the Stage", "The Sporting Life", and so forth), but there was something about their albums that was always off.

But, I was definitely intrigued by the idea of The Hazards of Love, Bobby B. recommended it, and here I am. And I'm kind of in the same sort of spot. I like a few of the songs, I feel like the concept is very cool and has a tonne of potential (like, Best of the Year potential), but I feel like there's something that I'm missing (or, that the record is missing). I think its probably a story issue... it doesn't jump out at me, nor do any of the characters, and its not the kind of album that you can really jump in and out of.

Luckily (for the band) I've got a solution. They should turn the album into a short film/play/performance piece (possibly with muppets a-la Jason Segal in Forgetting Sarah Marshall). I dunno, that solves all the problems that I have with this album...

[mp3] The Decemberists - The Wanting Comes in Waves/Repaid

No comments: