Tuesday, January 29, 2008

An Homage to the Wire/Tom Waits

It is my contention that the Wire is the greatest television show ever (Slate magazine agrees). It's gritty, compelling, complex, heart-breaking, and it sounds authentic (although I'm not really in a position to determine what is, or is not real, when it comes drug dealing/ghettos/inner city Baltimore/municipal government/the newspaper business). Its consistently discussed as the best show on TV that no one is watching, and personally, I think half the reason is that it looks, at first glance, like a fairly standard cop show - but is just so much more. This, however, is probably a discussion for another time.

For the uninitiated, the theme of the Wire is a song by Tom Waits "Way Down in the Hole", which has been performed by a different artist each season. Where am I going with this? Well, after Jen convinced me (and she did) to listen to Radiohead's In Rainbows, by introducing me to the track 'Reckoner', I was hoping to gain an appreciation for Tom Waits. Tom Waits may not have as quite a, shall I say devoted (read: marginally psychotic) fan base, I do know a few people, especially my friend Leanne, who really love him. So, I'm hoping in the comments section to get suggestions for one track that'll make me love Tom Waits.

My video homage to the Wire:


Season 1: The Blind Boys of Alabama


Season 2: Tom Waits


Season 3: The Neville Brothers


Season 4: DoMaJe


Season 5: Steve Earle

Also, if you hadn't seen this Barrack Obama loves the Wire, his favourite character is Omar. God I hope he's president.

Update: Rosie has just sent me this link, an ongoing discussion on the fifth season of the Wire.

Update x2: Kyle has just given you 4 reasons to watch the Wire.

2 comments:

Jesse said...

My favourite Waits tracks are "I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You", "The Piano Has Been Drinking", "I Wish I Was In New Orleans", "Grapefruit Moon" and, of course, "Jersey Girl".

If I have to pick ONE? Grapefruit Moon.

mradown said...

mine is 'chocolate jesus' - brilliant performance on you tube