Saturday, June 27, 2009

Dig this and dig it deep...



I've been spending a lot of time (unfortunately) in the car making my 'johnny-9-to-5' commute to work, and I've needed something to keep me awake, alert, and from having a Marge Simpson-esque freak out on the middle of the highway. My solution has been to dig through some of the old hip-hop mixtapes (actually CDs, I'm not that old) I made at the end of high school/through undergrad (and play them on the drive). I've re-remembered a pile of awesome hip-hop songs, but the Last Emperor's "Secret Wars" has got to be one of my favourites of the bunch. And the best for a variety of different reasons...

For one, the concept (his fav. emcees vs. marvel superheros) is, it goes without saying, I think, very, very, cool. Obviously, the idea on its own isn't enough it needs to be executed, which, of course, he does. He covers a huge range of emcees/superheros going one on one for their team, but its the narration/transitions between the battles, the impressions of the emcees (Common and Busta Rhymes stick out to me) that really brings the whole thing together...

To be honest, I don't know much of anything about Last Emp. outside of this song, but I wonder whether its just best to leave it this way. This song is just so... on point that it hardly seems like that there'd be anyway that he could keep this up for an entire album, maybe he can, but my spider-senses tell me that we (I) would've heard more from him in the interim if that was the case. If I'm wrong, someone - anyone - should feel free to let me know...

A fan made video:

No comments: