Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Sexy Singles! Hayden, Jay Brannan, Passion Pit

A new title... I'm thinking this is going to be a good way to go after a different demographic of music listeners...



Hayden is my favourite singer-songwriter hands down, and he has been since 8th grade when I first saw the video for "Bad As They Seem" on MuchMusic. Without discussing the new record The Place Where We Lived, we'll save that for next week, the first single "Let's Break Up" should give you a sense of where Hayden is at these days...
[mp3] Hayden - Let's Break Up


I love a good cover, especially one that flips the original right on its head (i.e. its not much fun to hear Nickelback cover 3 Doors Down). Jay Brannan does exactly that with his cover of the Cranberries (yeah, remember them?) with his slow, smooth version of "Zombie". I'm not sure what the rest of his covers album In Living Cover is going to be like, since, I thought the cover of Jan Arden's "Good Mother" sounded a little too close to the original... it'll be interesting to see what the tracklist is like. That small criticism aside, a tip of the hat to Jay for his awesome myspace profile pic = him in a snuggie... gawd that looks comfortable...
[mp3] Jay Brannan - Zombie (Cranberries cover)



From what I understand this Passion Pit band is quite popular. I haven't heard their Chunk of Change EP or the full length Manners in their entirety and, I suspect if I do, I probably won't enjoy them. I find their particular brand of falsetto to be a little shrill, but I'll be damned if "Sleepyhead" isn't the catchiest song I've heard this year. The freaked-up chipmunk vocals, the chorus over top, and the 80s synth sound is dynamite for the single, but I'm not sure I can handle an entire album of it...
[mp3] Passion Pit - Sleepyhead

No comments: