Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Miracles of Modern Science s/t EP























Its not as though I'm running Pitchfork here or anything, but I get a substantial number of albums in my inbox every week, and, like the guys who wrote the Rebel Sell (a great book if you haven't read it) I'm a big believer that the cream rises to the top. Basically, if you're good at what you do, people will begin to notice. Now, obviously, there are exceptions to every rule (see: Wire, the), there are other things that get in the way, but, this is a rule that I believe to be mostly, if not completely, true. So, the bottom line is for a blog like mine, is that most of the unsolicited submissions I get are, well, somewhere between crappy and unpolished.

The self-titled EP by Miracles of Modern Science is somewhere near the unpolished end, but contains enough really interesting moments to make me wonder whether they'll be able to 'kick it up a notch' on a follow up full length. Perhaps the EP is interesting because there aren't so many bands kicking around with that are almost entirely composed of string instruments (a double bass, a violin, two cellos, a mandolin + drums), maybe its the spacesuits, but whatever it is, its interesting enough to have it rise above the fray.

If I had to suggest listening to one song, it'd be:
[mp3] Miracles of Modern Science - 524

But, if you want to listen to the whole album its available for free here.

No comments: