Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Mr. G's Song of the Week - "Emma Jane"























As I sit sleepily at my desk and contemplate the possible subject matter of another edition of Song of the Week, there are two things very much on my mind. The first: day camp is unbelievably exhausting. The second: what delicious tuneage do I want to close my eyelids to and use to help sail me into the dreamland I so cherish visiting every night? That's right folks - we're talking sleep music.

There is music for every occasion. There are party tunes, walking/jogging/working out tunes, marking tunes (fellow teachers know what I'm talking about), and yes, there are most certainly sleep tunes. Made-up scientists have proven that there is a direct correlation between the quality of music one listens to before sleep and the quality of one's sleep. Feel free to leave a comment below about which band creates your sonic sleep waves, but the one currently at the top of my naptime list is Texas-based band, South San Gabriel.

The track in particular is the first off of their 2008 album (co-created with Centromatic), Dual Hawks, and it is titled "Emma Jane". A gorgeous blend of soothing acoustic guitar, relaxing violin tones and heartfelt vocals, this delicate composition should by no means be used solely for the purposes of drifting off. In fact, it is just as good, if not better, while listened to in a state of total consciousness. But that being said, if you're looking for a serene auditory experience, perhaps one that will lead you into a state of such peacefulness and tranquility that a transition from wakefulness into sleep becomes inevitable, then Emma Jane is the song to take your mind to such a wondrous place. Until next week, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

[mp3] South San Gabriel - Emma Jane

1 comment:

The R.O.B. said...

For my money, Great Lake Swimmers (polaris short listers!) and Stevens' - Sufjan and Cat - have always been great sleepy time tunes...