Wednesday, July 22, 2009

(Sexy) Singles: The Wooden Sky, Wax Mannequin, Alan Wilkis


I'm pretty confident I've seen the Wooden Sky open for someone, at somepoint, but needless to say they weren't overwhelming (or memorable). Their new album, If I Don't Come Home You'll Know I'm Gone, to be released August 25th, I think is going to be a different story. And, if the song "Something Hiding For Us In The Night" is any indication - which it is, I've heard the album - I'm not going to be not remembering tWS again. The song, like the album, (more on the album later, I expect) is a perfect blend of pop/country, angst/without being whiny, tension/without being too tense... a lot of good things already being said about this one...
[mp3] The Wooden Sky - Something Hiding For Us In the Night


Wax Mannequin, a Wolves, Hawks and Kites favourite, also has a new-soon-to-be-released album, Saxon on August 5th. That album, in contrast to the Wooden Sky's, is a one man onslaught of emotion. Despite being a prolific song-writer (5 albums in 4? years and counting), I've never managed to sink my teeth into an entire album - this may be because I've moved from listening to a global selection of bands, to a more Canadian centred sonic space (three cheers for nationalism and xenophobia!) - and I'm not quite sure what I think, of Saxon, that is. There are spots on the album that are absolutely overwhelming (sometimes in a good way, and sometimes not), but the more roots/folk songs like "End of Me" are impossibly moving (and potentially the soundtrack to the next epic movie set in the middle ages)...
[mp3] Wax Mannequin - End of Me


And, if you were looking for something completely, completely, different from the first two singles you needn't look any further than "N.I.C.E." by NYC electro-popster Alan Wilkis from his recently released Pink and Purple. "N.I.C.E." sounds like its taken a backing track from a hidden song from M'Js Off the Wall and... well, it just has a very 80s feel... if you like Chromeo, this may be right up your alley...
[mp3] Alan Wilkis - N.I.C.E.

No comments: