Thursday, July 16, 2009

Pick of the Week #28: Dog is Blue



This pick of the week has been a long time coming. I've e-mailed back and forth with Paul Watson, mentioned the album a couple of times, and I managed to catch 'the band' live a couple of weeks ago, but, alas, ...Makes Ghost Noises has not been given the illustrious (and much sought after) title of "Pick of the Week". (... until now!)

Certainly, part of the reason that Dog is Blue didn't make the cut earlier was just the nature of the song-songwriter or self-described ghost-folk music; this isn't the kind of music that is going to bowl you over. Paul's voice, while having a lot of character, doesn't really make him a contender for American (or Canadian) Idol, the arrangements aren't exactly epic, so, I guess that's my explanation for why I didn't "pick" it earlier. And really, that probably says more about my lack of patience... anyhow...

So, ...Makes Ghost Noises didn't blow me away, but it has become kind of like my PJs (no, Paul, I'm not hitting on you). MGN has become a very comfortable album that I'll put on while I'm reading, or watching the CP24 traffic in the morning before work, with the gentle whirring, clip-clopping, and the female vocals hovering in the background. But, just because I'm very comfortable with the album, doesn't mean that its not catchy, or compelling, or that its just something that's going to put you to sleep; because I think the best thing about ...Makes Ghost Noises is that something different (lyric/riff/hook/track/and-so-on) stands out to me every time. And that is a reason to grab the album @ Zunior for $5.55.

[mp3] Dog is Blue - Seacaptain (live @ the Tranzac)
[mp3] Dog is Blue - Grandma

"Happy Halloween"



Pick of the Week #1: Ketch Harbour Wolves
Pick of the Week #2: Rah Rah
Pick of the Week #3: Glasvegas/Animal Collective
Pick of the Week #4: Bruce Peninsula
Pick of the Week #5: The Antlers
Pick of the Week #6: The Darcys
Pick of the Week #7: Ohbijou (Swift Feet for Troubling Times)
Pick of the Week #8:
Gentlemen Husbands
Pick of the Week #9: Chris Whitley
Pick of the Week #10: Alela Diane
Pick of the Week #11: K'naan
Pick of the Week #12: TOR/Sufjan Stevens
Pick of the Week #13: Timber Timbre
Pick of the Week #14: Justis
Pick of the Week #15: Hibiscus & Rosehips Compilation
Pick of the Week #16: Patrick Watson
Pick of the Week #17: Olenka and the Autumn Lovers
Pick of the Week #18: The Liptonians
Pick of the Week #19: Sunparlour Players
Pick of the Week #20: Black Hat Brigade
Pick of the Week #21: Howie Beck
Pick of the Week #22: Pink Mountaintops
Pick of the Week#23: Still Life Still
Pick of the Week #24: Hayden
Pick of the Week #25: Snailhouse
Pick of the Week #26: Dog Day
Pick of the Week #27: Ohbijou (Beacons)

No comments: