Thursday, February 21, 2008

Definitely, Maybe.... orrrrrr, maybe not.

I'm sitting on the couch next to Liz, and she just gave me 'You're writing a post about that!?!' comment. And, yes, I am writing about a romantic comedy that was released on Valentines Day (we saw it on Tuesday), but more as a public service announcement so that you will avoid seeing this film at all costs. Liz and I make it to the movies just about every Tuesday, and after a Rotten Tomatoe score of 70% (although I swear it was 76% when we looked on Tues.) and hearing that it was produced by the people who did Love Actually (this was a big selling point with Liz), we thought we'd give Definitely, Maybe a shot.

Long story short, it was terrible. Really, really, terrible. Punch you in the face and steal your lunch money terrible. It poses as a kind of romantic-comedy-who-dun-it, but as Liz suggested its kind of like How I Met Your Mother, except without Barney (Doogie Howser), which, I added, is the best part of that show -- by a lot. After looking on IMDB, the fact that the movie was terrible shouldn't be a huge surprise, the man responsible for writing the screenplay wrote other hits like: Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (2004), Wimbledon (2004), The Invisible Circus (2001), and Practical Magic (1998). If someone has any insight on how Rotten Tomatoes does their calculations, and this movie could have possibly got a positive score I'd be interested in hearing it. Frankly, I wish that I could've stayed home and watched the E*Trade commercial with the talking baby for a couple of hours instead... now that is cinema.

On a more positive note, Bon Iver's For Emma, Forever Ago was re-released a few days ago and is well worth a listen. Justin Vernon will be in TO on March 5 - opening for Black Mountain (my thesis supervisor son's band) - which should be a pretty wicked awesome show at Lee's Palace.
[mp3] Bon Iver - Skinny Love.mp3

No comments: