- Malcolm Gladwell has a terrific article where he paralells the problem of trying to chose teachers and NFL QBs, which I suspect is a one-off from his new book Outliers.
- An interesting take on Obama's cabinet and how playing pick-up basketball will inform who he chooses. I'm not sure its totally bang on, but fun to think about, since, I'm pretty sure the kind of "character" things they talk about when they mention basketball can be applied to just about any other team sport... except maybe baseball.
- Mark is decidedly upset about both FOX's love affair with
this ice cream sandwichTim Tebow and the amount of attention that the World Junior Hockey Tournament gets in Canada.
- Ummm... someone may want to tell Jaydiohead that mash-ups are so 2005... except its still kind of cool. For my money the best mash-up album has to be God's Stepson the 2003 mix of Nas' God's Son by 9th Wonder... except that isn't really a mash-up at all is it... huh...
- Since I had three weeks off (that's right... woot woot) I got a chance to see a bunch of movies: Milk which was an excellent bio pic of the first elected openly gay official in the USA, but it was disturbing seeing Sean Penn use some of the mannerisms as when he played the retarded guy in I Am Sam; The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was basically a more fantasy oriented/less campy version of Forest Gump, told backwards, with - I think - better acting; Religulous ...while I am completely on-side with Bill Maher (in that I have no idea what to believe about God) it was really unsatisfying to see him take shots at religious people for 90 mins; Frost/Nixon which I had no idea was a Hollywood movie going in (I thought it was a documentary), but was really impressed with that guy's portrayal of Nixon... well worth seeing.
- Also, Paul Shirley - NBA/Euroleauge/Basketball Vagabond/Writer/ESPN Columnist-Blogger - apparently reads Pitchfork, or, I imagine that he does based on his 'ear candy' '08... god... I'm such a snob.