Saturday, January 24, 2009

Burgeoning Metropolis HOT 5: Episode #3



I suppose this probably won't be an unusual occurrence, that, this week, I don't have 5 new-ish albums that have been in the rotation, so you'll have to bear with me. You might view this as an opportunity for me to plug albums that I like/have been listening to, and so if you haven't heard something on the list I'll encourage you to check it out by at least clicking on the myspace link.

Classic Pick:
Metric Old World Underground
Mostly because their new single "Help I'm Alive" from their upcoming album (which I think is going to be released in March, but is yet to be titled) is excellent... although they've been sure taking their sweet time to put this album out...
[mp3] Metric - Help I'm Alive

#5 Plants and Animals Parc Avenue
... its a good album, which I've been listening to again since my buddy Mr. Grosman has decided to walk into class every morning saying something like "Gawd, Plants and Animals is sooooo gooood"...

My orignal thoughts on the album.


#4 The Rural Alberta Advantage Hometowns
Because, despite the fact that it was #18 on my year end list I've been listening to this, Lil' Wayne (when I run, mostly), Kanye and Chad VanGaalen more than anything else from 2008.

#3 Tom Fun Orchestra You Will Land With A Thud
Reviewed both here, awmusic.ca, and linked at the Toronto Music Blog Collective. The nuts of those reviews: Tom Waits meets East Coast Celtic/Rag Time Band = a band that cannot be accused of being unoriginal.

#2 Animal Collective Merriweather Post Pavillion
... kind of like the B-sides to Panda Bear's Person Pitch ...

#1 Bon Iver Blood Bank EP
As a whole its nearly as good as For Emma, Forever Ago, but realistically that was going to be difficult. I mean, the actual single 'Blood Bank' is as good as anything on FEFA but I don't think the stuff with the vodacoder works all that well, since, I think the strength of FEFA was Vernon's strained vocals that made you feel his pain (or possibly feel how cold it was in Wisconsin).
[mp3] Bon Iver - Blood Bank

No comments: