Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Let's Book Club! The Inner Game of Tennis.



Kyle, Rosie and I have, on Rosie's request, entered into some sort of contest... no, not like on Seinfeld, but a book reading contest. Mostly, its just to push ourselves to read more, which, I think, is probably a good thing. And, while I realized I am absolutely going to get slaughtered, because I can't sit still for more than 7 minutes at a time, I'm going to try and read a book a month.

This month I've given myself a little bit of a soft-ball to ease my way into the competition The Inner Game of Tennis. It's a pretty easy read, short (134 pgs.), and right up my alley. Even though the book talks about tennis - mostly because Timothy Gallwey was (and presumably still is) a tennis guy - the book really talks about how to get the best out of yourself in whatever you're doing.

Grade: A

Up next: maybe Outliers although I suspect its a pretty standard Gladwellian - find an interesting study, explain how its different than the public perception, and ignore any interesting counter arguments that undermine his point; or, possibly, The Last Shot which I'm pretty sure is the book equivalent of Hoop Dreams... which wouldn't be a bad thing.

4 comments:

Jesse said...

What if we offer you bonus pages for anything that's not about sports or music?

And I thought our contest was both books AND Seinfeldian.

The R.O.B. said...

... hang on... they write books that aren't about sports or music?

Quadb said...

"can't sit still for more than 7 minutes at a time"

bwahaha, another A.D.D. blogger, i love it!

I've been trying to read more lately too but man does it take me a long time to finish a book.

ack said...

If I could make a music book suggestion... try Lester Bangs book, Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung. I've always thought of him as the first blogger.