Saturday, January 24, 2009

Pick of the Week #3: Glasvegas/Animal Collective



Probably because I like the idea of promoting local/Canadian music my first two picks of the week were local (Ketch Harbour Wolves)/Canadian (Rah Rah), but I haven’t been jumping up and down over anything local/Canadian this week. Instead, I’ve managed catch a lot of music from bands that have been pretty big blog bands… and, well, I’ve liked – but haven’t loved – a couple of them: Scottish band Glasvegas, and American ‘spaced-out-atmospheric-pop-collective’ Animal Collective.

What I like

Glasvegas Glasvegas: While I can’t say that I’m a huge fan of the entire Glasvegas album, there a couple of killer singles, see: “Geraldine” and possibly “Daddy’s Gone”. Also, all the lyrics, particularly the campy ones stolen from nursery rhymes, sound about 150% cooler with that thick, thick, Groundskeeper Willie-esque Scottish accent.

Animal Collective Merriweather Post Pavillion: Basically, that it kind of feels like an extension of Noah Lennox (aka Panda Bear)’s Beach Boys inspired album Person Pitch [2007] (which, if I recall correctly was #3 on my Best of '07).

What I don’t like
Basically, I have opposite problems with the two albums. The singles notwithstanding, there are a bunch of lulls throughout the Glasvegas album, which includes a bizarre 2-minute “Moonlight Sonata” interlude.

On the other hand, the Animal Collective album kind of feels like a 55 minute acid trip, which, if you’re not on acid probably isn’t going to be enough to keep your attention (if you’re anything like me) for an hour.

The Moral of the Story
I like them, but now that its occurring to me that I could've picked Bon Iver's new EP Blood Bank...

[mp3] Animal Collective - My Girls
[mp3] Glasvegas - Geraldine

"My Girls" video:

No comments: