Thursday, March 20, 2008

Plants and Animals 'Parc Avenue' ... I'm probably not going to have to call Cartman...



I've never been one for anything psychedelic, including, but not limited to, tie-dye t-shirts, acid, or hippie jam bands. In fact, I cheered for Cartman when he tried to rid South Park of its hippie epidemic. Isn't that a nice lead in...

so after hearing a few snippets of Plants and Animals With/Avec EP late last year, I was sufficiently unimpressed, or just convinced that they were some Canadian version of Phish after listening to a couple of songs. That said, I heard enough good things about the new full length Parc Avenue, and the fact that I came to learn that it was released on Secret City Records (Patrick Watson, Miracle Fortress, The Go! Team) made me realize that the album is bound to be a Polaris Prize nominee for 2008. Much like labelmate Patrick Watson's Close to Paradise, I didn't really 'get' this album at first, and while Parc Avenue wanders into hippie-jam-band territory, it stays far enough away to make it ... worth listening to if you're not on acid.

At this point I kind of feel like I've been tricked into liking a hippie-jam-band, and I'm going to wake up one morning in a tie-dyed t-shirt and have no idea where I've been for the past few days. On the other hand, every time I listen to Parc Avenue I like it a little bit more; I find the whammy bar on 'Feedback in the Field' more endearing, I find 'Guru' less aggravating, and I wouldn't be surprised if towards the end of the year if this was a top-5 album.

I'm still glad Cartman rid South Park of all the hippies.



[mp3] Good Friend
My favourite lyric of the year so far: 'It takes a good friend to say you've got your head up your ass'

[mp3]
New Kind Of Love

You can pick up Plants and Animals Parc Avenue at Zunior for $8.88.

No comments: