Monday, March 10, 2008

Zach Stockill ... doesn't want to date high school girls... but plays good folk music


Here's the thing I like about high school girls, I keep getting older, but they stay the same age...

So, Zach Stockill and I don't agree on everything, but over the last half week or so I've been really digging his brand of singer-songwriter/folk/roots kind of tunes. The music behind Zach's voice may sound more like standard guy with a guitar tunes, but its his lyrics, subject matter, which kind of invoke Ben Folds, Jens Lekman, or another Ottawanian songster Craig Cardiff, have really drawn me in. That may not be an entirely fair comparison, Stockill is only 20 according to this Owen Sound SunTimes profile, and the names I just mentioned are some of my favourite singer-songwriters... ever.

That said, I'm anxiously awaiting his next next EP entitled Songs for the Ride Home tentatively scheduled for a May release, but I'll be sure to keep you posted.


[mp3] High School Girls <-- highly recommended
[mp3]
When I Get Home (rough mix)

In addition to Songs for the Road Home Zach's other upcoming release, which, I'll be honest, I'm slightly more excited about is called FutureSex/LoveFolk. The project which he tells me should be finished by the end of April, is a series of, you guessed it, JT covers.

No comments: