Friday, March 28, 2008

Tales of Interest: Friday Edition

I've been a little, or a lot slow this week due to an extraordinary amount of traveling - work related - but I did manage to take some time to do some sight seeing. Suffice to say the Yukon is gorgeous, and so are the parts of Northern BC and Alaska that we made it to. That said, the Klondike Highway was probably the most frightening drive of my life - can't imagine doing it in the middle of the Winter here... I probably couldn't recommend Whitehorse more, the people were phenomenally nice, even in March the weather was pretty good, and it'd be an especially nice vacation spot in the summer. So, there's my plug for the Canadian North...

  • Umm... La Blogotheque's webpage keeps kicking me out, but they've got a new 'Take Away Show' from the Black Lips. The guy singing 'Navajo' in the shower is awesome (its not running, and hes not naked so don't get any ideas). Also, there's another new(er) one from Yeasayer on the NYC subway:



    And my one of my favourite take away shows...
  • I had been a little slow picking up Jeff's recommendation of High Places' album 03/07 - 09/07, which feels like its going to be the weird-atmospheric-Panda Bearesque album that I can never listen to all the way through for 2008. I think 03/07 - 09/07 would probably be better if Person Pitch hadn't already done the same album, but better, last year. I could be wrong, I haven't spent a tonne of time with the album, but I don't think I am.
  • I'm hoping to have 'reviews' or thoughts on two really exciting albums up either this weekend or at the beginning of next week, Entire Cities Deep River and the Black Hat Brigade's self-titled EP. I really like both of them, and if you're in TO you should attempt to check out the BHB they're playing a few dates within the next couple of weeks, including tomorrow at Rancho Relaxo.
  • Both Dragonette (Sat) and the Rural Alberta Advantage (Sun) are in town this weekend if you're looking for something to do. If I ever get out of the North I'll be there too.
Have a good weekend.

No comments: