Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Youth Novels by Lykke Li ... reconsidered



I've gone back and forth and back on Lykke Li (who I'm pretty sure shares a name with a Street Fighter character) 's Youth Novels since I first heard it at the beginning of March. After I heard a couple of outstanding singles "Let it Fall" and "I'm Good, I'm Gone" I was very excited, and thought I might be in for some type of quirky and much more Nordic version of Lily Allen. The album, after my first time through, wasn't quite as catchy as I was hoping it would be... so, naturally, I gave up on it.

For whatever reason, maybe listening to another Swedish female (Sally Shapiro - in case you care, I don't particularly care for Shapiro's Disco Romance) was enough of a reminder to give YNs another shot.

I'm glad I did, because in addition to having a number of outstanding and horribly catchy singles (the two previously mentioned plus "Dance Dance Dance" "Little Bit" "Breaking it Up") it also has a more atmospheric, ethereal?, and kind of haunting side. The intro "Melodies & Desires" as well as "This Trumpet in my Head" have some lyrics, while not particularly profound or meaningful, that are really sticking with me.

From "Melodies & Desires":
'Love is the harmony/Desire's the key/Love is the melody/Now sing it with Me' ... its better if you just hear it...

[mp3] Lykke Li - Melodies & Desires
[mp3] Lykke Li - Let it Fall

No comments: