Thursday, April 16, 2009

Pick of the Week #15: Hibiscus & Rosehips Compilation for Charity


I'm really glad that I didn't delete this email, because the compilation album Hibiscus & Rosehips is a terrific collection of folk music for a terrific cause (people going through Lymphatic Cancer treatment).

The album features an whole slew of Toronto musicians some I was familiar with and am really big fans of (Ohbijou - pick of the week #7, Timber Timbre - pick of the week #13), others I've seen mentioned and have meant to check out, but haven't (Castlemusic, Snailhouse), and everyone else I couldn't pick out from a whole in the ground (this is not meant as a slight, I've just never heard of them before). But, despite my inability to recognize many of the artists, its been a great way to sample and find out what's going on in Toronto's folk scene. With any type of compilation there are going different styles (duh), not all of them are going to be your bag (I mean, I didn't like it when they put Marilyn Manson on Big Shiny Tunes #1), but its always really great when you find someone you like you never heard of.

So, I'll encourage you to pick this one up, particularly if you live in the TO area since I'm convinced you'll find something you like, and then there's a good chance you'll be able to see that person live. The album is for a great cause, everyone knows someone who has been afflicted with some variation of the disease (my mom got the ovarian kind) some have made it (my mom did, thankfully), but many don't, so... you know...

Also, if you like tea parties - and who doesn't, really - there will be a Hibiscus and Rosehips folk music tea party this Sunday, Apr. 19 @ the Resistor Gallery, 284 College St. (2nd floor) from 1pm - 6pm.

Kudos, to Erin Lang for putting all this together. For more info, visit the Hibiscus & Rosehips website.

[mp3] Timber Timbre - Demon Host
[mp3] Snailhouse - Who We Are

Pick of the Week #1: Ketch Harbour Wolves
Pick of the Week #2: Rah Rah
Pick of the Week #3: Glasvegas/Animal Collective
Pick of the Week #4: Bruce Peninsula
Pick of the Week #5: The Antlers
Pick of the Week #6: The Darcys
Pick of the Week #7: Ohbijou
Pick of the Week #8:
Gentlemen Husbands
Pick of the Week #9: Chris Whitley
Pick of the Week #10: Alela Diane
Pick of the Week #11: K'naan
Pick of the Week #12: TOR/Sufjan Stevens
Pick of the Week #13: Timber Timbre
Pick of the Week #14: Justis

No comments: